[Gambas-user] about string manipulating and replace$()

rospolosco at ...152... rospolosco at ...152...
Sun Jun 19 19:01:13 CEST 2005

Hi.

Firtst of all I want to thank Benoit for his fantastic software: gambas is
absolutely *** G R E A T !!!***.

I'm working on a program. In this program I have to compare millions of
string, one compared to another one, to know how many chars of string1
are equal and in the same position in string2. Example:

string1 = "1234567"
string2 = "0004007"

Result = 2. In fact "4" and "7" are equal and in the same position.

At this moment, I do the job using a  FOR and Mid$(), but the process
take a very long time when you have to compare thousands or million of
strings.

I think we should reduce the time for processes like this one, if gambas
had natively a function for that purpose ( Please, Benoit....) Example:

Result = The_Function$("1234567", "0004007")

> 2

Please, somebody has a suggestion to speed up the process?

Request for Benoit:

Is possible to implement in Replace$() the model in square brackets
as in the LIKE operator?

I mean:

Replace$("Gambas me gusta muchissimo", [^a-a],"")

> aaa

Thanks.