[Gambas-user] LEGAL SOFTWARE ?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Fri Jun 3 17:51:11 CEST 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 04:00, BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI wrote:
> If i create an application using gambas and my app has the same
> interface with commercial application, can my software categorized
> as illegal or it's fine ?

You'd probably want to talk to a lawyer in your own country if you
really want to be sure, but in the US, it seems pretty well
established that things like menu and form layouts can be imitated
without infringing.  On the other hand, Apple sues people (or
threatens to) all over the place for duplicating their unique look
(translucent blue glassy widgets, white/grey stippled background,
etc.) and a US developer would probably be well advised to try not to
piss off someone who's proven willing to sue people unless they have
someone like the EFF ready to mount a defense.

I'm no lawyer, I just read the papers.

Rob