[Gambas-user] Re: new Gambas documentation (Rob)

Joseph Murphy njmurphy1 at ...734...
Sun Jul 31 00:41:28 CEST 2005

The new docs look good but I was locked out on many of the hyper links.

I would also like to make a request for addition to the docs. This is listed
in the docs for component programming:

The components and the interpreter communicate through the Gambas
Programming Interface.

They are executed in the interpreter environment, and so must not do
whatever they want.

What is this interface?  I would like to see a detailed explanation of this
interface.  Also what are the restrictions on components?  The docs say
that they "must not do whatever they want" but it doesn't go into detail
about that.

The ability of a programmer to extend gambas by adding a component is one of
the strong points of gambas.  But it is being weakened by the time and
effort needed to just get up to speed on component writing.   Also, if I
could make a suggestion, don't use an existing component for explanation.
It would be much better to write a component that is only meant to explain
the concepts and restrictions of component writing.

I understand that writing documentation is the gritty part of a project and
nobody likes doing it.  But, in many ways, it is the most important part of
the project.  I forget who said this but it is one of the best explanation
of documentation I have heard:  Documentation is like sex.  When it's good
it's very good, when it's bad it's better then nothing.

Joseph