[Gambas-user] Gambas as shell

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jul 27 16:46:49 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 07:46, Marcelo Confortino wrote:
> Tehe question is, is there a way to make a gambas application to
> act as a shell for a user? I need some users to turn on the PC,
> logon and fall directly into a Gambas program, without any
> posibility of using any other thing, not even the desktop. When
> they quit the program they must be logged out. Thanks a lot.

I have already done this with a scanner workstation, but at the time I
was using vnc (the scanner workstation itself was headless) and just
put the application in the ~/.vnc/xstartup file followed by "killall
Xvnc".

For a situation where you boot the PC and it automatically logs in as
a user and runs their desktop, I think kdm will let you add a new
session type in /etc/X11/wmsession.d (look at whatever files are
there, and imitate them.)  However, I wasn't able to run just a
Gambas app when I was doing it.... you need a window manager too.  I
ended up using sawfish because it didn't have a taskbar or desktop
icons or anything like that.  It's possible that if you make your
Gambas app only ever use one window (no dialogs, not even
Message.Info, and Me.State = Window.FullScreen) you may not need to
do this.

Rob