[Gambas-user] LICENSE FEE

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jul 22 14:22:29 CEST 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 11:19, BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI wrote:
> Fabien Bodard wrote:
> >>
> >>I have always found it ironic when people want to use free software to
> >>create non-free software, and I don't support doing so (if
> >>proprietary software authors would like their Gambas questions
> >>answered, I'll be happy to do so provided they pay me money like any
> >>of my other clients) but Gtk is an obvious answer to this.
> >>
> >>Whether it becomes the default toolkit in Gambas is really up to
> >>Benoit....  I prefer how Qt looks and acts, myself, but I wouldn't
> >>complain too much if Gambas moved in a Gtk direction as long as the
> >>Qt one is kept up.
> >>
> >>Rob
> >
> >why noot the both ? why not an ide with the ability to be qt or gtk ?
> >
> >Fabien
>
> Oh yes, of course both of them. Only GTK should be main Toolkit by
> default, since it's free. I dont think QT should be removed, it should
> still and always be there. No problem anyway...it's just an opinion,
> since we are in some free and commercial world ;)
>
> Budi

1) GTK+ *and* QT are both free software.

2) I know QT better than GTK+, but I want Gambas to be toolkit agnostic.  I'd
like to have a GUI toolkit based on the Enlightenment libraries for
example :-)

3) GTK+ has just a special licence that allows you to make proprietary
software with it.

4) I am agree with Rob: if you want to make proprietary software, use
proprietary tools. It sounds more logical, but you usually have to develop in
the unknown with tools full of bugs and often no support :-)

5) What kind of proprietary software will you make ? Do you expect to sell
thousands of copy without making support, like who we know ? Otherwise, if
you have less clients, make the software free, and let them pay for the
support.

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...