[Gambas-user] KDE Panel Applet

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Jul 9 20:19:35 CEST 2005

On Saturday 09 July 2005 13:50, John Dantzler wrote:
> Is it possible to write a KDE panel applet with
> Gambas?  If so, where I could I find more info on
> writing a panel applet with Gambas?

No, it's currently not possible to do that.  KDE panel applets are
implemented not as programs, but as shared libraries with specific
interfaces.  Until it's possible for a Gambas app to be a shared
library and provide those interfaces, which seems unlikely (or
someone writes a KDE panel applet that will swallow a Gambas app; I
might do this, since I have written KDE panel applets before) the
best you can do is use kstart and put your program in the system
tray.  Maybe in the future you won't need kstart to do this.

One of the KDE panel applets I have written, kswug ("swug" originally
meaning "Scrape WeatherUnderGround.com") just sits and watches a
directory for an image of appropriate size to be updated, and
displays that image; I currently use it to display the temperature
and the "what it feels like" temperature (heat index or wind chill)
generated via Perl and imagemagick, but I have also had it display
images I generated in Gambas.

Rob