[Gambas-user] Getting Gambas up to speed.

Joseph Murphy njmurphy1 at ...734...
Wed Jul 6 01:45:31 CEST 2005

Hi Michael
 I did some testing with do while and for next loops and it does seem to be
rather slow.  To do a for next loop that does nothing except increment the
counter it took 14 seconds to go from 1 to 10000000.  I only tested up to
ten million but 14 seconds does seem slow and gbx2 was using 99 percent of
the cpu according to top.

 I then checked out your DeepSpace project.  I found something different
with it.  gbx2 was taking only 13 percent of the cpu time and X was taking
85 percent.  I think there are multiple issues with the speed problem.

 I then checked out the optimization of the gambas compile and it is being
optimized for size.  I haven't had the time to see if there is an increase
if it is optimized with -O3 instead of -Os but I doubt that there will be
much difference.

 This does seem to be something that needs further investigation.

Joseph