[Gambas-user] Form embedding, building devel version

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jan 12 18:32:32 CET 2005

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 11:22, Rob Kendrick wrote:
> Why is the fact that Gambas is an interpreter stopping it from
> producing ELF binaries?  My request is as follows:
[...]
> I'm not suggesting that this sort of mechinism should
> *replace* the current, but it might be a handy option to have.

I agree; this is probably one of the most commonly requested
features.  I think as soon as someone with both the interest and
the know-how comes across the Gambas project, it will get
done.... for now, you and I have the interest but speaking only
for myself, I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to write a
native code compiler.  On the other hand, Benoit probably knows
how but has always meant for Gambas to be an interpreted
language.  (What I'd love to see even more than native code
compilation is a way to run Gambas "scripts" without compiling
them first.... I submitted a proof of concept of this which was
very kludgy, but I think this will be necessary to get "Gambas
ASP" off the ground eventually.)

For my part, I'm just going to continue agitating on behalf of
Gambas so that it becomes part of every distribution by default
eventually, and people won't fret so much about whether Gambas
is installed on target machines just as they don't fret anymore
about whether Perl or Python is installed on target machines. ;)

Rob