[Gambas-user] Form embedding, building devel version

Rob Kendrick gambas-users at ...790...
Wed Jan 12 17:22:39 CET 2005

Rob Kendrick wrote:
> Benoit Minisini wrote:
>> Because Gambas IS an interpreter. But if you like, you can write a
>> compiler for Gambas of course :-)
>

> You seem to have already done so: gbc.  And such a thing isn't actually
> necessary for such a scheme anyway.

This thread appears to have died with insuffcient discussion for me to
understand the issues at hand.

Why is the fact that Gambas is an interpreter stopping it from producing
ELF binaries?  My request is as follows:

   1. Make the interpreter available as a library as well as an
      executable
   2. Provide a small "stub" object file built during Gambas's build,
      that uses the library version of the interpreter to execute
      the application that is stored in some static structure in the
      executable
   3. Allow building of application via dumping all the bits needed
      to run it out to a very simple ELF file that just contains the
      data as a static structure, and linking that to the stub and
      the interpreter library to generate an executable.

This has the advantages that you have the option of statically linking
your application if you so wish, so you don't require any other
libraries or runtimes to run your application somewhere, as well as
independance from system to system about where the gambas interpreter is
stored.  It also provides version support between different incompatible
interpreters that may (or may not) appear over time via the soname
functionality.  And all this with only having to have ld installed, not
the whole gcc suite.  (Which is usually packaged seperately anyway.)

I'm not suggesting that this sort of mechinism should *replace* the
current, but it might be a handy option to have.
--
Rob Kendrick
PGP signed or encrypted mail welcome (Key ID: 3651D17A)