[Gambas-user] MySQL Connect

John G. Ruff JRuff at ...762...
Sat Jan 8 23:37:17 CET 2005

When I run the Database example program, I still get the same
error:

  Cannot open database: Client does not support authentication
                        protocol requested by server; consider
                        upgrading MySQL client

I did a fresh install of Mandrake 10.1 Official (32 bit) on a
different hard drive. I'm using Gambas 1.0.1. I downloaded &
installed MySQL-Client 4.1.8a from MySQL.com.

The server is running Mandrake 10.1 Official (32 bit) in runlevel
3 (text multi-user mode) and MySQL Server 4.1.8a.

I am able to connect to, access and update this same server from
my Visual Basic 6 / SP6 programs, so the credentials, etc.,
should be OK.

Any ideas what is wrong? I am at a loss for what to try next. I
am just trying out Gambas, I really want to turn off my remaining
Windows stuff and move entirely to Linux. Is it possible that the
MySQL server is sending a request for something that Gambas does
not / cannot respond to? Is anyone else successfully running
anything similar to this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jr