[Gambas-user] Re: [Gambas-devel] About next Gambas version

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jan 8 13:02:07 CET 2005

On Friday 07 January 2005 12:48, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> El dom, 02-01-2005 a las 22:13 +0100, Benoit Minisini escribió:
> > The new development version of gambas will be numbered 1.1.x or 1.9.x, I
> > am not completetly determined. Well, 1.9.x seems to be cool :-)
> >
> > BUT, as we must be able to install the current 1.0 and the next 2.0 on
> > the same system, the package will be renamed 'gambas2'
> >
> > Things of gambas2 will be installed in /usr/lib/gambas2,
> > usr/share/gambas2, and so on. The interpreter should be renamed too
> > (gbx2), and I think the tools (gbi, gba, gbc, gambas,
> > gambas-database-manager) will move in /usr/lib/gambas2/bin or something
> > similar.
> >
> > So, the name of the current package is gambas-1.0.x.tar.bz2
> > And the name of the development package will be gambas2-1.9.x.tar.bz2
> >
> > Is it clear for everyone ? :-)
>
> I didn't notice it the first time I read this email, but today I have
> some points of disagreement with the new numbers for the next gambas
> release.
> I wouldn't like to see gbx, gbx2,gbx3 and so on in the following
> releases. Or if they exist, I think at least there should be a diversion
> with soft links from gbx to the gbxN the users wants, as it happens with
> gcc.
> Because.. projects made with the actual gambas version will run with the
> new runtime, won't them?. In that case, these projects search gbx to
> run, no gbx2. The same thing with compilation and so on...
> I really don't see the need to rename the next release. As it is not a
> production release, whoever desires to use it must know it is not safe,
> and when it is ready for production it could replace without any problem
> the actual release.
>
> Regards.

Gambas 1.0 and Gambas 2.0 must be able to be installed on the same system, and
a program made with Gambas 2.0 needs the 2.0 version of the interpreter, and
so on.

So the simplest way to do that for me is to rename the package (gambas2) and
the executables (gbx2, gbc2, gbi2, ...).

I don't care of what gbx the user wants to run. The user never runs gbx. But
the compiled Gambas program chooses the gbx it wants to run, with the first
line in the archive: #!/usr/bin/gbx for a Gambas 1.0 program, and
#!/usr/bin/gbx2 for a Gambas 2.0 program.

How can you do that with gbx being a symbolic link on some version of Gambas
installed ?

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...