[Gambas-user] Re: [Gambas-devel] About next Gambas version

José L. Redrejo Rodríguez jredrejo at ...96...
Fri Jan 7 12:48:30 CET 2005

El dom, 02-01-2005 a las 22:13 +0100, Benoit Minisini escribió:
> The new development version of gambas will be numbered 1.1.x or 1.9.x, I am
> not completetly determined. Well, 1.9.x seems to be cool :-)
>
> BUT, as we must be able to install the current 1.0 and the next 2.0 on the
> same system, the package will be renamed 'gambas2'
>
> Things of gambas2 will be installed in /usr/lib/gambas2, usr/share/gambas2,
> and so on. The interpreter should be renamed too (gbx2), and I think the
> tools (gbi, gba, gbc, gambas, gambas-database-manager) will move
> in /usr/lib/gambas2/bin or something similar.
>
> So, the name of the current package is gambas-1.0.x.tar.bz2
> And the name of the development package will be gambas2-1.9.x.tar.bz2
>
> Is it clear for everyone ? :-)

I didn't notice it the first time I read this email, but today I have
some points of disagreement with the new numbers for the next gambas
release.
I wouldn't like to see gbx, gbx2,gbx3 and so on in the following
releases. Or if they exist, I think at least there should be a diversion
with soft links from gbx to the gbxN the users wants, as it happens with
gcc.
Because.. projects made with the actual gambas version will run with the
new runtime, won't them?. In that case, these projects search gbx to
run, no gbx2. The same thing with compilation and so on...
I really don't see the need to rename the next release. As it is not a
production release, whoever desires to use it must know it is not safe,
and when it is ready for production it could replace without any problem
the actual release.

Regards.