[Gambas-user] small bug in ide

neil lewis neil at ...233...
Tue Feb 22 12:54:03 CET 2005

Hi Benoit,

The error was in the arguments to an EXEC statement.

The statement originally looked something like EXEC ["-mogrify",
"-scale", 350, filename] and this worked fine.
It was changed to something like EXEC ["-mogrify", "-scale", 350x350,
filename]
Obviously the 350x350 part should now be inside quotes, but when I first
altered the line I didn't notice the error.
The interpreter diagnosed a missing square bracket instead of missing
quotation marks, which meant it took a little longer than necessary to
spot the real problem.
I guess the interpreter is seeing the 350x350 argument without quotes as
being part of a separate statement, so it thinks the EXEC statement
should have been finished.
It would be much more helpful if the interpreter could correctly
diagnose that there was a syntax error in the EXEC statement.

Like I said, it's just a small usability bug, and not anything
substantial but it would be nice if the interpreter could diagnose this
sort of error more helpfully.
I originally noticed this behaviour on Gambas 0.99RC4, but have since
found it on both the current stable and development versions, too.

By the way, I think Gambas is progressing really well. It's a very
exciting project for very many reasons, not least that it lets people
with limited programming experience build real world applications. Also,
you must know how often VB has been used to prototype custom
applications for Win and I'm sure Gambas will also have a part to play
in this sort of role for Linux.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Neil Lewis.