[Gambas-user] New to gambas. Have a few questions.

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Feb 21 18:57:56 CET 2005

On Monday 21 February 2005 05:42, Lord Jester wrote:
> I do have a few questions. First off what exactly is Gambas
> capable of at this moment? I've had a project in my head for
> several years now, and after seeing Gambas I think that's
> where I'll start it. It's just a 'thing' of sorts with an all
> in one interface for web, text, etc.

Gambas 1.x is suitable for most front-end type of applications,
quite suitable for MySQL/Postgres/standalone database
applications, and lots of us have used it for all kinds of more
involved applications (see the "big projects in Gambas" thread
from a couple weeks ago in the archives.) It's really pretty
open-ended, and you can drive all kinds of background processes
using SHELL and the Process object to access functionality that
isn't native to Gambas yet.

I wouldn't recommend Gambas 1.x for applications requiring heavy
text processing (because I hadn't finished the pcre component by
then), fast graphical performance (because there wasn't an SDL
graphics component yet), or ODBC (ditto.) I'm sure there are
other libraries out there that Gambas still needs components
for, but all of the above are now present in the development
versions of Gambas 2.

I don't know if part of your goal is to implement a web browser,
but I think the scripting will be a killer... there is a
KDE-based web browser component, but I don't think it gives you
access to the DOM and there's certainly no Javascript component
available for Gambas yet. However, I have helped a client
implement a highly customized text editor in Gambas, and I think
for displaying static HTML documents (or using the browser as a
preview, if you're writing an HTML editor) you'd do fine.

> About fakebas, how exactly do I compile this? I see it's
> written in Java.. Perhaps just loading it up in Eclipse and
> compiling will work?

Fakebas is actually written in Gambas (just as the Gambas IDE
itself is.)  There are .class files in there because Benoit
chose .class as the file extension for Gambas classes.
(oops...)  If you have Gambas installed, go into the fakebas
directory and type

gbc
gba

gbc will compile it, and gba will make the fakebas executable.
(Instead of gba, you could have run gbx and it would have run
fakebas without making an executable.)  Of course, the easiest
way to compile a Gambas app is to load it up in gambas itself
and select the "make executable" menu item, but since you're
trying to compile an alternative Gambas IDE, I'm assuming you're
not familiar with the original IDE that ships with Gambas.

Rob