[Gambas-user] small bug in ide

neil lewis neil at ...233...
Sun Feb 20 13:19:17 CET 2005

Hi Joseph,

I'm not excessively worried about this bug, it's just a small irritation
in an otherwise fantastic system.

Having said that, I don't really think I can agree with you that an
"error correcting compiler" would make the programmer redundant.

Surely the main focus for the programmer should be the creative part -
designing the program, it's functionality and usability.
For a compiler to attempt some degree of autocorrection really wouldn't
be much different to the autocompletion which is already a feature,
nor to using a spellchecker with autoreplace or a grammar checker in a
wordprocessor.

That's not meant as an excuse for sloppy code, just a recognition that
as we are all human; we can easily make small mistakes when entering code.
Forgetting the technical limitations for a moment, wouldn't it be useful
if a compiler/IDE could correct obvious syntax errors while scanning the
source?
I really can't think of any good reason why a compiler should be
prevented from having this sort of functionality.

Neil Lewis.