[Gambas-user] Newbie questions - object hierarchy

johnf jfabiani at ...1109...
Thu Dec 29 18:13:58 CET 2005

Hi,
Ok I'm a newbie to gambas (new to basic and gambas).  And I have lots of
questions.  But some questions will help find the answers on my own.

First, what is the object hierarchy? I was attempting to set the an input mask
to a textbox in the change event as follows:

me.text - Ucase(me.text)  - Turns out "me" is the form.

and it should be

textbox1.text = Ucase(textbox1.text)  where textbox1 is the name of the
object.

So could someone explain the object hierarchy.

Is there a parent as in "parent.object.variable = True"
Is there a "self", "this", "me" - how do I address the object from within the
object?

Where is the IDE documented?

How do I release an object?

When are the controls available within an object as in:

Dim Oinstance As someobject
Oinstanace = new someobject
Oinstance.object.property = something

Or must the property be set within the object - maybe at the open event or
with "_new"?

Is there a pass a form to a form?
Normally I just add a property in the form and then set object property as in

object.property = self (maybe this should be "me").  So I can return info to
the calling form.  So how do I insure that I am returning data to the calling
form?

Thanks in advance!
John