[Gambas-user] Question on GAMBAS development

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Dec 27 16:39:59 CET 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 04:54, peter lee wrote:
> Hello Gambas users :-)

Hello Gambas user :-)

> Good day. My name is Peter and I'm a new user of GAMBAS.
>
> I'm currently developing application on SUSE using GAMBAS. However I have a
> few questions on development hope you guys could help me on that.
>

> 1.	How to play movie in GAMBAS? Is it using the MovieBox? If so can u
> show me a sample code on doing so and what is the supported format?

MovieBox only plays MNG and GIF (as written in the documentation).

You can easily embed mplayer (or any other external player program I think) in
a window.

You can use the embedded option in mplayer (look in the MoviePlayer example),
or you can use the XEmbed protocol (look Application.Embedder and the
Embedder class in the documentation).

> 2.	Can the GAMBAS take in external component such as real-player or
> mplayer?
> 3.	Is it possible to play .swf (Flash extension file) in GAMBAS
> application?

The only way at the moment is by embedding external application. I don't know
if there is a Linux application that can play Flash outside of a web browser.
But I think you can embed your flash in a web page, and with a little
Javascript, you can remove every browser menu and toolbar to only keep the
window, and then embed the window in your application.

The problem with embedding is how to know the window handle of the
application. There are two ways:
* With KDE, you can use DCOP to retrieve the ID of the main window of a KDE
application (Konqueror in this case).
* You can use The Desktop.Find() method to retrieve the ID of main windows
matching specific criteria (window title, role, class).

> That's all for now. Thanks and happy new year !!!.

Happy new year too!

Benoit Minisini