[Gambas-user] Basic steps

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Dec 12 06:38:55 CET 2005

On Sun December 11 2005 22:27, Ramon Orticio wrote:
> but it tickles my imagination to learn more. in your
> expert opinion what are the basics steps in creating a
> programming language like gambas. that means creating
> a programming language  from scratch.

For the technical details on how Benoit went about creating the
Gambas compiler and interpreter and from thence the IDE, you
should probably ask on the gambas-devel list.

In general, though, I'd think you would first decide what kind of
architecture you're interested in (pure interpreter, P-code
interpreter, virtual machine, native code compiler, etc.) and
then design your language's syntax/grammar and the means for
extending your language, and then implement the compiler and/or
interpreter, most often in C or C++.

I would like to suggest, though, as gently as possible, that if
you have trouble understanding concepts like mount points and
the complexities of interfacing with different API's (such as
that of Openoffice), it may not yet be time to start writing
your own language.  You may want to buy a book on computer
languages, like Friedman's "Essentials of Programming
Languages", and if you don't find it to be way over your head,
maybe try to implement one of the conceptually simpler languages
like Forth or Lisp before trying to tackle a higher-level
language like BASIC.

Rob