[Gambas-user] 2 Questions

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Dec 7 01:12:04 CET 2005

On Tue December 6 2005 18:09, johnf wrote:
> Not sure what you mean by DTD's.

A DTD is a "data type definition", which is basically a file
format definition of an XML document which can be read
programmatically (because the DTD itself is also an XML
document.)  If someone releases an XML based file format and
releases the DTD for that format, it becomes A LOT easier to
make other programs work with that format.

Openoffice.org released the DTD's for their file formats along
with the formats themselves, unlike certain companies who want
you to sign NDA's or agree to other restrictions to use their
DTD's.

A good starting point for understanding the OpenDocument format
can be found here, though they gloss over the DTD:

http://books.evc-cit.info/odbook/book.html

The DTD files themselves are installed along with Openoffice.  On
my machine they're located here:

/usr/lib/openoffice/share/dtd/

Gambas' gb.xml.libxml component has some DTD-related
functionality, but I couldn't tell you what it does exactly.

It looks to me like XML is pretty much the ASCII of the future,
so if you're looking to manipulate documents you'll want to
learn how to deal with XML.  Good luck....

Rob