[Gambas-user] Idea - Builds & Package Creation

Rob Kudla sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Dec 3 19:12:42 CET 2005

On Sat December 3 2005 11:17, Marius Mauch wrote:
>  From a package maintainer POV it is a stupid idea as it makes
> our life harder.

I am a package maintainer too, and people distributing
self-contained programs that install entirely in a user's home
directory doesn't make my life any harder.  If anything,
third-party RPM's designed for more than one distribution do,
because they put stuff in the wrong places.

> - no central upgrade management, especially important for
> security fixes - potential for conflicts if multiple versions
> are installed

My clients that do central upgrade management also have policies
preventing users from installing packages on their own.
Self-contained software distribution is designed for someone who
just wants to try a program quickly without installing a
compiler or tracking down dependencies, not an enterprise user.

Rob