[Gambas-user] User Interface: So many choices of lists

Werner werda at ...1000...
Tue Aug 30 16:28:37 CEST 2005

Hello,

looking for the right thingibop to do what I need I feel overwhelmed
with choices. Maybe you can sort me out.

I'm trying to write a user interface for manual lap counting software
for a 24h dinghy charity race. Assume 30-50 dinghies, each passing the
counting station every 5 minutes. Each boat passing the station results
in the creation of a record in a mysql database, for reporting and auditing.

It is entirely possible that 6 dinghies pass the station within 5
seconds. Air traffic controllers have no problem with this kind of
mental load but a novice lap counter whose daily routine does not
include rapid multitasking might get stressed out and as a result make
mistakes.

This means the lap counters need a  user interface that is very easy to
understand and intuitive to use.

I had envisioned a window with a list of dinghies  to the left (vertical
scroll bar) and a huge GO! button to the right of it.

The lap counting person selects the dinghy/dinghies and clicks the BIG
BUTTON. Double click and multiple selections should also work (I think
all the candidates below can do this).

Each line of the list would be something like this:

|  Lap No   |        Time        |  Dinghy            |
              13        23:54:12       Laser 17               Example

          right            center        left
Alignment

I had a look at
-- listbox
-- listview
-- columnview
-- table

What I need is a widget that can present each line as a complete
indivisible entity to the user but allows the programmer enough
flexibility to treat each column individually, especially regarding
alignment (maybe also style, color change). Data entry via keyboard is
not needed.

Which one is suitable? Have I overlooked the perfect widget for the task?

Thanks,

Werner Dahn