[Gambas-user] Empty While loop question

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Wed Apr 20 10:52:52 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 03:51, Jose J. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 de April de 2005 04:37 am, nando wrote:
> > Thank you.
> >
> > VB has the same problem.
> > If I need to do pure processing of data for a extended period of time,
> > then while the code is running, the timer would never fire.
>
> Hi:
>
> In VB, you needed to execute a DoEvents() every x number of loops to allow
> other processing to proceed. I haven't yet researched how to do this in
> Gambas, since I've not used a timer so far (didn't know yet that it was
> necessary, either).
>
> Joe1962

Differences from VB:

'WAIT' does not process mouse and keyboard events! This way, you can get timer
events and refresh the GUI without getting input from users.

'WAIT x' waits for x seconds (can be a floating point number), AND process
mouse or keyboard events

So, for old VB users, DoEvents() <=> WAIT 0.01 (or any very small value). But
you should better use WAIT alone.

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...