[Gambas-user] Diabolic proposal: change the BASIC interpreter

alessandro bottoni alessandro.bottoni at ...122...
Wed Apr 13 17:41:57 CEST 2005

Alle 10:27, mercoledì 13 aprile 2005, David Asorey Álvarez ha scritto:
> First at all, this is not a request, is simple curiosity.
> (I'm not an "advanced" developer, I'm totally ignorant about C++ and
> "serious" programming ...).
>
> My question: ¿are there any way to change the BASIC interpreter for
> using another language?.
>
> That is, using, for example, Python, and not BASIC when writing Gambas
> applications.

As long as I can see, replacing the interpreter used by the Gambas IDE would
be quite difficult (but not impossible).

If you wish a good IDE for Python or other interpreted language, you can check
one of the followings:

- Boa Constructor : a IDE for Python and GTK. It just works with the "old"
versions of GTK and does not have any dialog box editor but it is still an
interesting tool and is improving very fast.

- theKompany Komodo : a multi-language IDE that can be used with Python. I
never used it (it is a commercial product, even if quite cheap) so I do not
know if it has a dialog editor or not.

- KDevelop: the official IDE of the KDE environment can be used with Python
and other scripting languages.

- Glade/libglade: Glade is a dialog box builder only. It does not support you
in writing code. Despite this, Glade still is a very interesting tool. It
allow you to build up a UI with a few clicks, save it in a XML file and
reload it (thanks to the libglade library) from within you C/C++ code. Thanks
to a few wrappers, Glade and LibGlade can be used with Python and other
scripting languages. There is even a porting to PHP (PHP-GTK)!

See you

Alessandro Bottoni