[Gambas-user] Multiple questions from a new user.

Gregg gregg at ...50...
Mon Sep 27 06:16:51 CEST 2004

Ive been using linux for about 10 years now, and oddly enough (since most
of my linux friends hate vb) I have been a Visual Basic developer for
about 10 as well.   I love gambas, but I have some questions.

1) About the compiler.  I know its been mentioned on here before, but has
anyone actually STARTED writing a native elf compiler?

2) Sample projects.  I see a lot of them, say I want to submit a few as I
write them, where would I send them?  And in the spirit of helping, are
there any that are actually needed?  I wouldnt want to provide samples
that are useless to people...

3) I would like to know if the editor window is ever going to get drop
downs like vb's for the events interface?

4) Will there ever be global variables (without the hack described in the
VB differences page?)

5) Has anyone thought about writing a scanner that would scan vb code for
all the places that it wouldnt be compatible?  This would make porting
applications to gambas a lot easier.  Instead of having to edit, compile,
edit, compile...  (not needed, but would be nice)

6) The biggest incompatibility I have seen so far in bringing any of my vb
code over to gambas has been the array handling.  Is there any chance at
somehow getting that in the vb compatibility code? (again, not the biggest
deal but it would cut down on about half of my porting issues.)

Thats pretty much all I have for now.  Ill probably end up having more
when I use it for a little while.

Gregg