[Gambas-user] The hell of font size

Eilert eilert-sprachen at ...221...
Mon Sep 20 10:12:11 CEST 2004

Hi Benoit,

first of all: thanks a lot for that phantastic Gambas, it really helps
me, and it is terriffic to work with it. I already did 2 little projects
with it, both work well in a multi-user environment, no problems yet.

> So I decided that all screen font size will be internally modified so that the
> screen resolution is always 96 DPI. This is the mean of the Font.Resolution
> property. The Desktop.Resolution property returns what X-Window says about
> your screen.

I understand that, and I think it's ok. But what about printer fonts? I
found that e. g. Courier 12 appears like 14 on the printer and Times 12
appears as something like 12.5 or so. The same fonts printed from other
programs are of correct size. Strange thing, isn't it? Printer fonts
shouldn't be related to screen resolution, should they?

So what I meant was that maybe there is a relation, maybe there isn't...
You can easily get the fonts on screen right, but when you say

printer.font.size = 12

you should rely on the font be printed as 12 pt, not bigger. I guess
there is something going wrong in the way Gambas is talking to the
printer object (Qt bug?). It won't have to do with the screen resolution.

In my little program I set font.size to 10 to let it print with about 12 pt.

Regards

Rolf