[Gambas-user] COMPARISON FILE

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Sep 9 15:33:20 CEST 2004

On Thursday 09 September 2004 06:20, BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI wrote:
> Benoit : Do you mean that the destination PC should have
> Gambas compiler as well ? What about if i want to burn it to
> compact flash...that would be a huge size then..;)

You will need to try to build gambas against qt/embedded, in that
case.  I think it should be possible, but I haven't tried it.  I
really think it's not a pressing matter yet, either.... how many
years went by before MS made a VB for embedded systems *after*
VB hit 1.0? ;)

Gambas does not compile to native code, it compiles to tokenized
pseudo-code (dunno what the technical term would be) and needs
an interpreter and any used components at runtime.  The gambas
compiler, archiver, IDE and info generator do not need to be on
the target system, just the interpreter (/usr/bin/gbx) and
components (e.g. /usr/lib/gambas/lib.gb.qt.so, which on my
machine is 8MB!)

At some point maybe someone will try to write a p-code to native
code compiler that will statically link in any components you
need, but I sure am not going to try ;)

Rob