[Gambas-user] Line Column

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Thu Sep 9 00:36:15 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 16:55, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > 	    Line 2. Gambas Maskot is a Blue Shrimp
> > The question is letter p in 'Shrimp' of line two in which
> > col ?
> Could you be more general in your request ? Why 'p' ?

I ran into the same thing when I was trying to write a terminal
emulator a few weeks ago, and I ended up using a DrawingArea
instead (which works VERY well, but I'm just using a fixed width
font in one size and regular/bold, since it's just a terminal.)

Right now, as far as I know, while it's easy to find out at which
character position your cursor is at in a textarea, it's kind of
a pain in the ass to figure out at which line/column you're at.
I actually wanted to find out where the user was clicking in a
TextView, by line and column, and I think that's entirely
impossible, but here's a workaround for the TextArea:

Er, I had just dashed off an example, but pressing F2 by accident
on a blank line in the editor just now caused the IDE to crash!
Damn!

Rob