[Gambas-user] pcre component 0.0.3 - working

Nelson Ferraz nferraz at ...184...
Fri Oct 1 15:59:35 CEST 2004

Rob wrote:
> Here is gb.pcre 0.0.3.  It seems to work fully now, though I
> would appreciate suggestions on more methods/properties.
>
> The class is called Regex.  You initialize it like this:
>
> dim re as Regex
> re = new Regex("string to match", "regular expression")

Rob,

How difficult would it be to integrate the regexps into the language
itself? Something like (given MyStr = "quick brown fox"):

	IF MyStr MATCH "fox" THEN ...

Or even:

	IF MyStr LIKE "fox" THEN ...

In this case, we'd be overriding a Gambas keyword.

Benoit: it interesting to note that regexps offer a superset of what
LIKE currently offers; you can match against a string, like "fox", but
you also can match against more elaborate patterns, like "\w" (letters),
"\d" (digits), "\s" (spaces), etc.