[Gambas-user] frm2form 0.06

ron ronstk at ...239...
Fri Oct 1 02:34:32 CEST 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 14:25, Rob wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2004 04:32, ron wrote:
> > When I understand it good then you(perl) say in gambas
> > IF type = "FileListBox" THEN type = "ListBox"
>
> That's right.... and that's how it'll look when I port it to
> gambas with the pcre component ;)

:)

> > The DirListBox and DriveListBox are more close to th
> > gb.qt.ComboBox There is code behind the VB one versions that
> > adds the files, directories or drives where the property
> > Path/Dir/Drive is pointing. And of course the drives do not
> > exist in linux or it must point to the wine drive directory is
> > available.
>
> No, I just ported a form to gambas yesterday that had a
> dirlistbox and it's like a treeview on the VB side.  Since the
> drivelistbox has no purpose in linux, I'm converting it as a
> treeview as well with the intent of making my own "dirlistbox"
> class based on a treeview eventually.

Shame on me. :( Your right for the treeview look. :)

> > The vb.ListBox is near the gb.qt.ListBox
> > The vb.ComboBox is near the gb.qt.ComboBox
>
> Any control whose Gambas equivalent is named the same thing
> doesn't need to be changed.  That's why I have that array full
> of legal Gambas controls at the top.

Makes live simple :)

> > The vb.ImageListBox is near the gb.qt.ListView
> > The vb.ImageComboBox is near the not existing gb.qt.ComboView
> > The nearest equivalent is the gb.qt.ListBox with reduced
> > height to 1 row The diff between vb.Image*Box and vb.*Box is
> > the first one can have icons oposite the second one.
>
> Sorry, I've been implementing this solely using forms I had lying
> around or that my clients needed converting to Gambas.  If you
> could post a .frm file with a bunch of standard VB controls that
> I am incorrectly converting to PictureBoxes, I will add support
> for them.

You choice for PictureBox is good. MS is substitute it also
for controls in forms not available any more, i.e. user-controls deleted.
I can make a vb.form with all those VB controls if it helps.
But the properties of the control are only available if I set them
to none default values. This can result to wrong gb.property names.

> > For people porting from VB to GB may be a class module like
> > the TableViewX made by Charlie to emulate The vb.ListView can
> > help to switch between both and fill both controls with data.
>
> Yes, as I said on the download page, I intend to eventually
> include code to do that sort of thing.  Currently I'm just
> generating .form output which has nowhere to put code.

A litle correction here. I say this to people doing porting to
make a extend class, not say it you must do.
That was unclear but the intention by me.

For the code part, may be simple put it in a *.class file even when it
is not really GB basic syntax.
The touch command to create this file in empty condition is also prevent,
and the porting person can edit right out of box :)

> > The vb.TreeView is also the gb.qt.TreeView as most close
> > substituut in name but it is a deriviate of the QT ColumnView
> > so the gb.qt.ColumnView can be a better option.
> >
> > In fact the gb.qt.ColumnView is the replacement for the
> > vb.TreeView and vb.ListView by QT.
>
> I'll take a look at these to see if I can figure out what you
> mean.

Benoit uses the QT.Columnview to make the gb.TreeView, gb.ListView
and the gb.ColumnView controls.

> > For the frx files.
> > The property values for the controls, if not standard are
> > stored in these files. i.e. TextBox1.Text = "MyMessage" then
> > "MyMessage" is in the *.frx file If it is left empty then
> > nothing in the *.frx file.
> > Also the icons used in the app are stored in this file.
>
> Thanks for the program you posted earlier... I'll check it out
> and see if I can either incorporate it or use it to figure out
> the .frx format myself.

BM (Brad Martinez) has/had some info/explanation about it on his site.

> > I have already 50% ported to gambas. But has low priority for
> > me. Last part are some none basic things as declare functions
> > into *.dll I think the code is more complicated as the form in
> > this case. 8)
>
> I am in no hurry to begin translating code ;)

I understand, I mean more complex to do, regarding the differences.
Doing it for this program I realize some big pro for gambas.
I need a way to read a file in binary way, setting a start
position and read x bytes into a byte array.
Still looking how. :(

> Rob

Thanks god we have a nice perl programmer, named Rob.

The look ATM to VB give me some good memories, I must be carefull
not to go back.