[Gambas-user] numerical error in Gambas??

jholm at ...381... jholm at ...381...
Mon Mar 29 14:27:33 CEST 2004

Hi everyone,

I have a rather peculiar problem when I compile the following in Gambas:

PUBLIC SUB Main()
   DIM i AS Float

   FOR i = 1.66 TO 1.70 STEP 0.001
     PRINT i*(1.0/i)
   NEXT

END

I get "0.1" values for some of the i values, which is obviously wrong.

By doing the same in C++ (and compiling with g++):

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(void)
{ for (double i=1.66; i<1.7;i +=0.001){ cout << i*(1/i); };
  return 0; }

I get the correct stream of 1's.

I have compiled Gambas directly from source, with no problems in the configure
script (but no db components are compiled).

Is this just my machine? or have I totally misunderstood that division
operator?

Jesper