[Gambas-user] Help on locale settings

ron ronstk at ...239...
Fri Mar 26 17:42:18 CET 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 08:06, Laurent Godard wrote:
> Hi ron,
>
> > That's nice, I assume the list are from locale and not the content of the
> > file. Anyway i see the difference
>
> it is the content of the file /home/laurent/.i18n
>
> I found another file related to this in
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n
> containing the same list
>
> i guess in is a system level configuration but i'm not sure
>
> Laurent

I do not have this one to.
The reason can be that I use the bare standard English version and have
no usage of the i18n for Dutch as you have for France.
This way I should not have problems with language setting any way.

Gambas System.Language from desktop 'en_US'
I made a simple gambas program of 1 module with 1 line
PRINT "Your System.Language=" & System.Language
Runs this in console #2
And guess? Your System.Language=en_US
Going to a root console #2, use locale and get 'en_US'
Going to a root console #1, use locale and get 'en_GB.ISO-8859-1'
running the gambas program in console #1
And guess? Your System.Language=en_US

locale in a console terminal (xterm)  'POSIX' or 'en_GB.ISO-8859-1' lines.
In xterm the same.

IT MUST BE A BUG OF KDE!!!
As I just found in the console #1 where KDE is started from (the boot console)
'en_GB.ISO-8859-1' and going to console 2 and get 'en_US'
System updates with KDE as Language are not system wide?.

If for any reason the settings should not system wide then it should
be the opposite. It should be changed in console #1 and not console #2

KDE passes his cold boot environment for LC in a terminal and not the
environment as controlled/updated by the user (root) from/in KDE

Result:
locale in a terminal from KDE returns different then on a root console
Be carefull for other variables that are not as intentional should be.

For me it works but I like it does for other to. Special newbies have
difficulties to find 'what' and 'where' as I had in the past (and still now
sometimes)

Ron