[Gambas-user] Langage module in gambas IDE

ron ronstk at ...239...
Thu Mar 25 20:16:15 CET 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 17:42, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2004 12:47, ron wrote:
> > Hi Benoit,
> >
> > I had a look in the gambas IDE code the Language module.
> >
> > For me there is a strange thing with the 'en' group.
> > As I'm understanding it right then the declarations are as follows
> >   i18n have 'en' = USA and  'en_GB' = United Kingdom
> >   You have  'en' = United Kingdom and 'en_US'=USA
> >
> > SuSE is using both as I found in some suseconfig files.
> > 'en_US' in SuSE 8.2 KDE 3.1.1 and  'en_GB' in update KDE 3.1.4
> > May be that is the reason the Help was broken by many users
> > after this upgrade.
> > Bug number 61065
> > ------- Additional Comment #3 From Stephan Binner 2003-07-11 00:27
> > ------- I don't know if anybody cares if only SuSE's documentation is
> > affected. :-)
> >
> > Some other programs are installing for several languages where the
> > developer is nice to provide them and use 'en_GB'  or as  'en_US',
> > dependant on there distribution?
> >
> > Some help was only in 'en', as default for KDE packages,
> > other only if  'en_GB' or 'en_US' was chosen.
> >
> > I suggest to use
> >   Name["en"]         = ("English (common)")
> >   Name["en_GB"] = ("English (United Kingdom)")
> >   Name["en_US"] = ("English (U.S.A.)")
> >   Name["en_AU"] = ("English (Australia)")
> >   Name["en_CA"] = ("English (Canada)")
> >
> > Witch sound more correct  to me, the logic between the braches the
> > specific for country. Idea?
> >
> > Ron
>
> I follow you. You will tell me in the next version if the problem is
> solved.
>
> Regards,

I did some more research on this subject.
There seams to be more ways to interpret this 'xx_YY' stuff.
==============
The first  way is:
----------------------
The 'language' spoken in 'COUNTRY'
Example:
  'fr_BE', en_BE'. 'nl_BE' and 'de_BE' as output from the locale program.

I understand here the French 'fr' people do not speek Belgium 'BE' language
but 'french' is spoken by 'BELGIAN'.
The language module in gambas has the same meaning I belive.
i18n method is the same with the packs as i18n_fr or i18n_de

This way is used in the paths for KDE HelpCenter also.
There is however a mistake in Helpcenter to use the COUNTRY for the
help pages and LANG for the GUI. Confirmed in KDE's Bugzilla list.

In KDE Region/Languages the add list is empty and I can add only
 'English (US) but it is not done', Country is set to Netherlands NL)
In KDE System/Admin Date & Time Current Zone 'Europe/Amsterdam'
In Yast Choosen language say 'English (US)' and for time zone
'Europe/Amsterdam'

ATM my COUNTRY is NL and LANGUAGE is ENGLISH spoken in (US).

the locale program say's RC_LANG=en_GB and LC_CTYPE=en_GB ????
HelpCenter say's sometimes file xxx in '/opt/kde/share/doc/HTML/en_US/' not
found. Sometimes for /en_GB too.
There is a symlink for /en_US and /en_GB to /en and here the file itself and
not the directory must be the reason. All docs are in the /en directory.

For Gambas in the IDE the language is from System.Language.
When I put it on startup in a textbox it say  'en_US'.

When I start the Translation addin the Language shows me initial Dutch 'NL'
so I asume here you use the COUNTRY part of, and thats the problem, what?
The class uses the System.Language or .Profile, both say 'en_US'

in the FTranlation:
 sLang = Project.Config.ReadString("/Language", System.Language)
  iIndex = cmbLang.Find(Language.ToName(sLang))
  IF iIndex < 0 THEN iIndex = cmbLang.Find(Language.ToName("fr"))
  cmbLang.Index = cmbLang.Find(Language.ToName(sLang))

Found in the .project file Language=en_US, Localize=1
For Gambas my System Language is 'en_US'

Before the snip I read the System.Language direct and it say's 'en_US'
The Project.Config.Read line returns 'nl'
This tested with a new fresh project.
Where is 'nl' comming from ???

===================
The second is:
--------------------
The 'language' and 'COUNTRY'  !! Yes I write AND !!!

This is SuSE's setting with Yast on install anyway.
Chose for Language English (USA) or English (British) and
all the money, number and date settings change for the country.
They change COUNTRY and not the language with it.!!!!
There is no COUNTRY setting in Yast or it must be TimeZone.

I tried to setup my SuSE system on Tenerife. :(
The remaining is a whole story on his own but I can say NO SUSE on Tenerife
or if the country, language and timezone, date and money does not fit on the
spot you are using, working and installing forget the SuSE distro.

Every distro's have there own way and this one
-----8<-----
I will try not discuss it anymore.
----->8-----

===================
The third way
How any user will do it on his/here own way
The front 'en' as COUNTRY and the last 'US' as language.

There is somewhere a real definition of RC_LANG may be it is the first one
but my feeling of LANG in RC_LANG is the first one as
  "language  _spoken_in_  COUNTRY."

For the rest:
Where is 'nl' comming from ???
May be a System.Country can be nice to have. For a Dialer program i.e.

Ron