[Gambas-user] Linux files question and very of gambas topic

ron ronstk at ...239...
Mon Mar 15 22:47:13 CET 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 14:34, Rob wrote:
> On Monday 15 March 2004 02:04, Laurent Godard wrote:
> > chmod 777 ./append.sh
> > As i'm a totally bneginner in unix environement, i may be
> > wrong, though
>
> Here's a free lesson, then :)  Don't go "chmod 777" unless you
> know you absolutely have to, especially if the file is owned by
> root.  That lets any user on your machine alter that file, and
> while you may think of your machine as being a single-user box,
> if there were some previously unknown vulnerability in apache or
> a mail server or xinetd or samba or etc., the exploiter would
> have a place to put further exploit code in hopes of gaining
> root access.
>
> chmod a+x will accomplish what you meant to do, should be a
> little simpler for newbies to understand (add eXecute permission
> for All) and doesn't open the file up to the world for writing.
>
> Rob

This is the same as chmod 666 file_to_set ?

I was so stuipd to set the /data3 (partition) with noexecin fstab to protect
this but that should be ro,exec in this case. See other mail I just send
away.

btw. this was/is the reason the wiki did not work, it was on the same drive!

Ron