[Gambas-user] How to decrypt a text? Any suggestions?

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Jun 16 16:29:38 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 16 June 2004 09:17, Brant Wells wrote:
> You could always come up with a quick formula based on the
> ASCII value of the Text that you are storing.   The upside is
> that you can always change it, etc.  However, the downside, is
> that it can be slow if your program has to call it many times.

I think that rolling your own encryption is worse than no
encryption at all, because it might give someone a false sense
of security.  Since he's using mysql I would suggest he look at
the CRYPT() and PASSWORD() function calls and use them in his
SQL statements.

But wrapping the Unix crypt() function or MD5 hashing (both of
which are one way and appropriate for password authentication)
is really the way to go here, and shouldn't be that hard in a
gb.crypt component.  Not that I'm volunteering at the moment
since I'm still working on patching gambas so my package will
work (and thanks to Dries for giving me a spec file that almost
worked.... as long as I went "cd /usr/bin" or "cd /usr/lib"
first, projects would run ;)  I think I can figure it out from
this point....)

Rob