[Gambas-user] software developed with gambas

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Jul 20 14:56:42 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 08:26, Premoli, Roberto [ITPPG/1010]
wrote:
> Well, gambas is growing fast!
> I am asking: someone out there used it to develop
> a *real* or still only example like snake or tetris?

I've been using it professionally, writing code for my clients to
use in-house, since about version 0.70. I've built a scanner
front end, media librarian, a number of database extraction
tools, basically the kind of stuff you'd use VB for except I
find gambas much easier to get along with.

I also wrote "pvrec" which is a "watch while you record" program
for the WinTV PVR USB, and you can find that on freshmeat.
Gambas is like duct tape for the Linux GUI.  I hope that in time
the stuff people have been stuck doing in Tcl or similar will
get implemented in gambas instead.

Since the two examples you mentioned are games, I have
implemented the beginnings of a real game in gambas, and posted
it to the list recently, but without SDL for video it is
unusably slow if you draw the window at modern resolutions.
Someday it will be possible, but like VB, gambas is presently
best suited for puzzle games if games are what you want to do
with gambas.

Rob