[Gambas-user] Need to have blowfish en- and decryption

Brant Wells bwells at ...475...
Wed Jul 14 15:09:54 CEST 2004

Hey Daniel:

Daniel Oxley wrote:

>I tried about 4 or 5 times in the end to rewrite this in Gambas.  Each time
>I gave up and just binned the lot.  Maths was never my strong point!
>You are right that it would be easier to just dump this code and write a new
>version from scratch.

Mine either...  I went to the Site listed in the VB [cough, cough] code,
and found a PDF document about it...   My head is still reeling from all
the Calculus mess that is in it (and I only made it up to pre-calculus
in college)...  I have written my own 'encryption' routines, to use the
term loosely, more like a stream scrambler with a fixed way of doing
things...  I have a copy of it for gambas already, as I was porting an
app over to Gambas...  Not high level encryption... but it's fast (AFAIK)...

>You can get a break down of how it works from Bruce Schneier's website.  Who
>knows, maybe he would even be interested in helping....???  He once said
>that the more languages his algorithm is translated into the better.
>
>I think the best reason to use Twofish is that it is unpatented and open.

I got the breakdown and all, as mentioned above, and just can't figure
out quite how to make it work yet...  I follow what some of the vbCode
does, and understand [I think] certain functions, like the
RTLMoveMemory...  But I also don't see the problem with creating our own
'encryption' routines just for Gambas...

>You know exactly how it works.

I wish...  then I could quickly translate it. ;-P

>AFAIK, it has not been cracked (yet?)
>either.

Security is a good thing!

I am looking over some VB code that I just found for Blowfish...[not
Twofish]...  and it seems to be a bit easier to follow...  I think I
will tinker with it for a bit and see what I can come up with.

See Ya!
~Brant