[Gambas-user] OT: Textadventure-Game

VBTricks.de.vu Webmaster vbtricks at ...451...
Wed Jul 7 19:59:33 CEST 2004

Hello everybody,

sorry I think I have to describe it more detailed:

What I want to translate is the interpreter. The interpreter is
completely apart from the textadventure. My program is not built just
for one adventure. You are able to write the textadventure in a
description-language similar to XML.

GUI looks like:

#########################
Description of the Place:
You are standing at a crossing in front of a tree. Beside the tree
there's an old man.

What do you want to do
1 Climb to the top of the tree
2 Talk to the old man
3 Go south
4 Go west

Your choice: <prompt>
########################

Sample of the structure of a text-adventurefile:

########################
<place name="first">
   <description>This is the first place</description>
   <possibility caption="First possibility" action="nothing">
   <possibility caption="There's nothing to do" action="nothing">
   <possibility caption="Go next" action="goto$second$">
</place>
<place name="second">
   <description>This is the second place</description>
   <possibility caption="Go to the first place" action="goto$first$">
   <possibility caption="Die!" action="exit">
   <possibility caption="Win!" action="win">
</place>
#######################

By "converting" I meant writing the source in Gambas (as it's only
written in VB and Pascal till now) not translating the textadventures.

@ Marcelo

Thanks, "converted" it within 3 minutes, now the GUI is also available
in Spanish!

@ Hans-Martin

Is the IDE himself the adventure like lotus-notes?

What do you mean by that? (Lotus Notes is an office-application I think)
You can create the textadventure using a simple texteditor but I am
going to write a "clicky-clicky" IDE for writing them, too.

@ Daniel
It may sound curious, but what are po-files? Are they something like
res-files under windows and where do I find additional information about
that? And I guess even that po-files have to be translated?

The translations of the GUI will be included into the download package.

@ Rob
Thanks, I'm going to search for it on Amazon. Perhaps I can even find
some at my local library (not to steal the copyrighted content but to
see if a Textbook-exporter might be a useful tool).

@ Craig
Yes, you made yourself clear. You are right in saying that if you are
not able to understand the textadventure itself it does not help you
much that the GUI is translated to your language.

But my long-time target is to offer the engine (in different languages)
and build up a database of free adventures (which can be in different
languages, categorized in sections: English, French, German,
Spanish...). Another target is to support as many operating systems as
possible (what about playing textadventures on your pocket-pc? playing
them on mobile phones might be a bit difficult as the displays'
resolutions is too small). For translating that adventures you will not
need any programming-knowledge at all.

I'm going to upload at least the pascal-source soon.

Stefan

PS: I did not want to offend anybody in the mailinglist ;-)