[Gambas-user] Gambas & SDI

Daniel Oxley oxleyd at ...364...
Tue Jul 6 15:19:11 CEST 2004

Yeah, I saw that.  The S and M key are just so close together!  ;-)

You are definitely right about HDI...

A Gambas interpretation of the way VB6 handles it would be cool.  Or
otherwise a way of turning off the fact that each Gambas window appears in
the taskbar.  Clicking on the single Gambas button brings them all to the
top.  Just to make it a bit tidier IMHO.

Until then though, I guess I will just have to look at the screenshot of
your hack on your website!

-----Original Message-----
From: gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Rob
Sent: 06 July 2004 14:45
To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] Gambas & SDI

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 07:34, Daniel Oxley wrote:
> Thanks, I suspected as much.  It all comes down to personal
> choice really. I have always hated the MDI style apps.  To me
> it looks horrible and untidy, like The Gimp.  All those extra
> buttons on the taskbar etc.

I think you have it backwards.  MDI (multiple document interface)
is what the Workspace control enables and what the Gimp folks
seem to hate for some reason: all the subwindows of your app
being managed by one big container window.  It's like, if your
toolkit can't handle the interface style used by about 8 of the
top 10 apps in current use today, just say so rather than make
up stuff about how you're right and the rest of the world is
wrong.  The world is about market share and what most people
feel comfortable with using, not what some random experts think.

SDI (single document interface) isn't really what Gimp or the
current Gambas are either, since normally it's still one window
with maybe some toolbars and stuff.

I would call the Gimp "HDI" or "horrible document interface". ;)
I don't find Gambas nearly as bad but that's probably owing to
the tree view of the whole project being available.  I still
want a VB6-like MDI version, even though I know most people
probably don't.

Rob