[Gambas-user] About rpm generated by the IDE

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Jul 3 00:03:03 CEST 2004

On Thursday 01 July 2004 00:08, Jason Curl wrote:
> Just an idea, it's difficult to distribute a lot of small libraries. An
> end-user might expect only one RPM, and that it contains the files that
> require it to run.

With tools like urpmi (on Mandrake), or others (on Fedora, Debian), having
many little rpms is not a problem. It is just more work for the packager.

> So, would it be possible that there be one or two RPMs installed with an
> application? The application itself (the first RPM of a two RPM
> install), and the other RPM containing the shared libraries that are
> needed to make it run (that would only be installed if Gambas is not
> installed). A one RPM system would include everything (but would take
> longer to download).

Having one rpm for each component solves the problem. And you can make a
virtual gambas-all rpm that loads every rpm component AND the rpm including
the IDE (which is just a Gambas application. So its package can be made
directly from the IDE!)

> The component packages already have dependency information (probably not
> enough though, as library information might also need to be included for
> some specific components, e.g. MySQL depending on MySQL already being
> installed).
>
> It would require extra work for the RPM build, because when installing
> the RPM I could envisage an executable that would run to actually
> install the libraries based on the dependencies and a local dependency
> file being maintained only for Gamba's components. In effect though this
> idea would probably require a Gambas only package manager for
> installing. But if carefully thought out the package descriptions could
> manage all of this with a few extensions?

I don't understand the need of that. RPM was designed for that, why not use
it ?

Benoit Minisini
mailto:gambas at ...1...