[Gambas-user] About rpm generated by the IDE

Jason Curl j.m.curl at ...17...
Thu Jul 1 00:08:18 CEST 2004

Just an idea, it's difficult to distribute a lot of small libraries. An
end-user might expect only one RPM, and that it contains the files that
require it to run.

So, would it be possible that there be one or two RPMs installed with an
application? The application itself (the first RPM of a two RPM
install), and the other RPM containing the shared libraries that are
needed to make it run (that would only be installed if Gambas is not
installed). A one RPM system would include everything (but would take
longer to download).

The component packages already have dependency information (probably not
enough though, as library information might also need to be included for
some specific components, e.g. MySQL depending on MySQL already being
installed).

It would require extra work for the RPM build, because when installing
the RPM I could envisage an executable that would run to actually
install the libraries based on the dependencies and a local dependency
file being maintained only for Gamba's components. In effect though this
idea would probably require a Gambas only package manager for
installing. But if carefully thought out the package descriptions could
manage all of this with a few extensions?

Cheers,
Jason.

Le mercredi 30 Juin 2004 15:16, drovar a écrit :
> danielcampos at ...282... wrote:
> >>This is not a good idea, as installing a gambas application will
>require
> >> each component,
> >
> >Well, VB installs lot of libraries, so the user knows he has a
complete
> > developement environment and he can run all VB projects.
>
> But to actually run a VB app you only need the runtime DLL not the
> entire development environment.  The less that needs to be installed
> run a Gambas application the better I would think.
>
> Carl

to run a gambas application, you need at less gb.qt, and more who
require qt,
or curl, or anything else....

gambas is not vb

and we are not on windows....