[Gambas-user] Rpg Project

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sat Feb 28 18:12:49 CET 2004

On Saturday 28 February 2004 05:13, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> > - SDL_sound handles MIDI files:
> > Cf. <http://www.icculus.org/SDL_sound/>.
> But when you write a game, you need to play several sounds at
> the same time, and SDL_sound don't seem to do that.

Sure you can.  That SDL Gambas demo I did using perl-SDL as the
back end could do it pretty easily (each button was assigned to
a channel, and I declared 4 or 8 channels, and SDL software
mixed them.)  Maybe whoever wrote the Gambas SDL component only
declared 1 channel?

MIDI support under Linux sucks not because it's unsupported (you
can upload samples to a lot of cards that support them, or you
can use one of a half dozen different software synths with ALSA)
but because no mainstream distro that I know of sets it up to
work by default.  I think I'd just use timidity myself at this
point in time.

Rob