[Gambas-user] gambas 0.90

Daniel Oxley oxleyd at ...364...
Thu Feb 26 16:02:43 CET 2004

True, but wouldn't it make more sense to use the MS JIT's purely because
they were written by the same people who wrote VB.NET?  I know this is
hypothetical, but if there was ever a perfect opportunity for Microsoft....

Of course, VB.Net is horrible and I actually prefer Gambas anyway.  But
imagine how powerful a selling point it would be if your app compiled on
Windows and Linux?

Anyway, it'll never happen and TBH, probably for the better.  It leaves room
for apps like Gambas to appear.

-----Original Message-----
From: gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:gambas-user-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Rob
Sent: 26 February 2004 15:42
To: gambas-user at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Gambas-user] gambas 0.90

On Thursday 26 February 2004 04:11, Daniel Oxley wrote:
> Defect to the enemy??!!  No way!  But I wonder if MS will ever
> get involved with Linux with their .NET technology?  All it
> would take would be the .NET framework for linux and projects
> like Go-mono would sink, fast...!

I don't know how many Linux distros would include something for
which source is not available in their base distro, especially
something from MS.  Look at how few distros ship with Java,
Acroread and Flash in their free editions.  There are free
software alternatives to all of those but none except xpdf are
in common use.  The same fate may befall Mono, but not because
everyone ships the real .NET instead.

I know I'd rather have Mono than MS, but given the choice I'd
rather avoid both diseases ;)

Rob