[Gambas-user] make install 0.83

ron ronstk at ...239...
Mon Feb 9 10:34:14 CET 2004

On Monday 09 February 2004 12:34, danielcampos at ...282... wrote:
> >hummm.... is gambas not working on mandrake 9.1 ????
>
> You have to install libcurl from http://curl.haxx.se, otherwise,
> this component (net.curl) can't compile!
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel Campos

I take a look there at http://curl.haxx.se

They send me to SuSE direct for the update version.
To the current directory as link. That is 9.0 and the wrong version I have.

The version from suse is 7.10.2 for SuSE 8.2 (i using) and 7.10.5
for SuSE 9.0 wich is also to low as required by the net component.
Beside of that 7.10.5 required ssl and crypt with higher versions SuSE
suplied for 8.2

The curl 7.10.2 is already installed by SuSE for the system.
I installed 7.10.2 curl-devel and no succes.
I installed 7.10.5 curl-devel and after done Yast (the suse installer) is
complaining there is a newer version installed when i try to re-install 7.10.2
curl-devel and can not uninstall it .

Trying to install 7.10.2 with Kpackage does also not work.
He tells me there is 7.10.5 installed, after he uninstalled it?)
I uninstalled with Kpackage and it does not work but files are given
as missing?

CURL is now damaged so the only thing I can do is delete all dirs and files
by hand.
Yast and Kpackage don't have a option to force a install of older versions.

Stupid yast can tell me what is installed even the names of the files and
where but can't  uninstall any thing.

Bare version of CURL compile and install makes a mess of tree verions
There version is now 7.11
I must first find a way to get rid of all CURL versions befor I try that.

Anyway how do I tell configure not to install Advance Net or forget
any part of the net component, what I like more for the moment.
Hacking the configure as I did now should not the solution.

CURL is also used by Yast to get the files and upgrades so if i
delete all curl stuff Yast cant work. Upgrading to the newest not from
SuSE can break my system, the only one I have now.

I had same problems with other apps not from suse but they provide old
versions (gambas 0.56 is there flagship version)

Sorry but i'm a bit sick of all those library/system upgrades, I want use my
computer and use it with gambas.
If I don't have CURL devel then I can't have gambas with Advance network
So be it.
if I dont have other parts needed for the Net component then no net.
So be it.
Same for SDL for sound and what is comming up.

The windows dll hell is here to with the lib hell.
I wish gambas compile and if I don't have CURL (right version) or the libs it
depends on the parts using it are disabled in the compile process.
This works with MySQL and PostgreSQL, I have only MySQL, without errors.

I take a look in the configure file and I must say it is a hard job for Benoit
to arrange it all to make everyone satisfied it works on all distibutions.
They are grown to complex after all.

The basic of gambas is the power I can use.

After all I had no curl-devel installed and believe configure did not detect
correctly this fact and disabled the component part or the whole part for
compile.
It is stupid to change first to suse 9.0 to be able to install CURL and
compile gambas without errors if i don't need the net component.
Version 0.82 was OK so do i stick on that?
0.8.3 works now with hacking the configure file, it's a pitty this way.

I understand Benoit would release a new version with all extra's suggested
and implemented, the toolbar in the editor, I like it, but may be to quick?.
That's the risk with doing updates at the moment they are released.

With mixed feelings a now happy gambas user
Ron.