[Gambas-user] a bit of confusion

Stefan Lamprecht Stefan at ...744...
Thu Dec 23 01:41:32 CET 2004

dear reader,

Am Donnerstag, 23. Dezember 2004 00:33 schrieb Rob:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2004 18:00, Stefan Lamprecht wrote:
> > i spend days finding out how to operate correctly with utf-8
> > strings. the information regarding this was close to zero (0)
> > and more misleading in some cases.
> > i suggest some kind of 'elegant' programming contest to gather
> > some more and complete samples.

>I've heard stuff like this from people off and on.  I'm not sure
>if you guys are aware of this, but on the wiki, you can press
>"Edit" on any page and (assuming you have registered) make
>whatever changes you would

indeed, now i could and i will.
but how does the 'edit' button help me if i don t know the answer?

>concerned and have no idea what any of this UTF-8 or other
> unicode stuff means.
> So you guys who speak more than one
> language

sounds like you are an us-amerian

> and need to do unicode conversions will have to update
> the documentation yourselves.

nobody spoke about conversions.

i make it plain for you: most people on earth use a language (just one) which
includes characters not covered by ascii >127
therefore there is a need for local characters
my linux box is complete running utf-8, as you can expect for most nowadays
linux distributions and for all upcoming.

this two points led to the fact that my utf-8 problem is not the problem of
one guy speaking two languages (how suspicious)
it is the problem of everybody using gambas, a recent distri and a language
like french, german, polish, russia,not to mention the asiatic languages.

but i will not blame the documentation or the documentators, i will just show
the need for more detailed information.

i feel invited to add the needed information from my case into the wiki

feed the wiki!

m.