[Gambas-user] Passing objects by reference

Chris Wilson blixtra at ...626...
Thu Dec 16 01:14:56 CET 2004

Ok, I think I figured out the problem with the Array.  I was trying to
call the Add method of the array outside a statment(sub or
function/method).  Even when I get the Result in an Array however, I'm
not getting it to pass as reference.  The code should explain.

db AS NEW Connection
myRS AS Result

myRSArray AS Object[]
'''The second line gave me problems
'''Seems as if you can't call methods outside statments
'''just declare variables, right?
'myRSArray = NEW Object[]
'myRSArray.Add(myRS) '''Always get "missing AS" error

PUBLIC SUB Form_Open()
    IF MakeConnection("localhost","user","password","test") THEN
        '''moved the above to here and I don't get the "missing AS"
error anymore
        myRSArray = NEW Object[]
        myRSArray.Add(myRS) ''' works here
        '''I'm still not getting it to pass as reference,
        '''even when I get the result into an Array
        getData(myRSArray[0], "select * from student")
        TextBox1.Text = myRSArray[0]!id  ''this gives me "NULL Object" Error
        TextBox2.Text = myRSArray[0]!name
    END IF
END

PUBLIC SUB getData(rs AS Result, qry AS String)
  rs = db.Exec(qry)
  PRINT rs!id & " - " & rs!name ''works here
END

PUBLIC FUNCTION MakeConnection(host AS String, lgn AS String, pass AS
String, database AS String) AS Boolean
    db.close
    db.Type = "mysql"
    db.Name = database
    db.Host = host
    db.Login = lgn
    db.Password = pass
    db.Open
    RETURN TRUE
    CATCH
        Message.error(ERROR.text)
    RETURN FALSE
END

The mysql table has 2 columns "id" and "name"

Thanks for the help

Chris