[Gambas-user] DB compatible to SQL Server 2000

ron ronstk at ...239...
Mon Aug 30 17:57:50 CEST 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 17:19, Hans-Martin Bundeshund wrote:
> Salute,
>
> I read this thread with my eyes wide open. I don't know, if I understand
> right, but there is an odbc-driver for IBM's DB2 for Linux. Does this means,
> that it is _maby_ possible to use gambas with the iSeries when gambas (maybe)
> can offer odbc support??
>

> I don't know other mainframe-machines, but guess that there are some
> odbc-drivers for linux supporting this machines. This could be a great step
> for gambas.
>
> In a yhaoo-group there is a group called 'Forum 400', a german user-group
> arround programming and adminstrating the AS400/iSeries. In the past we had
> serveral discussions about that:
>
> The big problem IBM for example has, is the green-screen. The users want  to
> have graphical enviroment but IBM waited too long. There first solution was
> Java. But all the AS400 people don't know Java, or even object-relevating
> programming. Some learned, the most don't.
>
> The next step ftom IBM was a 'converter', written in Java and is able to
> generate 'on-the-fly' a GUI under Windows from the green-screen-look. It is
> not such good solution IMHO. It doesn't offers all the objects that windows
> can offer (Combobox, Listbox, ...), only the green-screen ones.
>
> Then VRPG was presented by IBM. It is a Visual-RPG with a (terrible) IDE a bit
> comparing to gambas, but gambas is much, much more better to use.
> And the most users don't use this, because it is too complicated to use. You
> must think of that: The most programmers on iSeries are not that young. The
> most have 10-155 years to work and then go to their retirment...(I allwas
> this this, when I am at a training for iSeries and when I look at the
> profiles at the yahoo-group)
>
> So there is no 'easy-to-use' tool to generate applications using the DB2 on
> the iSeries running under Linux, only one bad (and expansive) IDE for
> Windows.
>
> Just my thoughts... (writing this without knowing, how much work it is, to
> write such an odbc-support for gambas)
>

> HM

strip

I try to find it but not found.

Be carefull Hans, there are two options ODBC with unixODBC as kernel
or ODBPT a different system.
ODBPT is mainly, as I see, a windows oriented approach en not bad for several
points.

if we look to the outside world of linux then you can connect to a ODBTP
interface on the remote machine and that one connects on your behalf to the
ODBC interface on that remote machine.
The connection works not with text as mormal sql queries does but binairy.
The profit will be, in the result that comming back.

For your case it depends on witch system the DB2 is, a linux machine or
the AS400 machine.
I did not see the remote side for the linux machine needs a program on
the AS400 to work for ODBTP.
May be it can do it without such but as I said not seen yet.

If you have a ODBC driver on Windows then the ODBTP client on the
windows machine should be able to use it and connect to the DB2
on the AS400. That is what I found till now.
It depends for end connections on ODBC drivers on the windows machine.
To what part of the world the driver connect to get the data is
no mather for ODBTP.
That is the good side of it.
Aber Du brauchst Rhamen NT4, XP oder 2000 dazu. :(

I didn't dive very deep in unixODBC but DB2 is in 3 variants available
with direct connections, bypassing the windows machine, and as
I'm right even IBM has done support for DB2 to it.

Take a look at www.unixODBC.org for exact info
and  http://odbtp.sourceforge.net/features.html

Maybe we should have both in gambas.
Yes it's easy to say, I know and shame over me.
We do not have a poll for it so we must trust what Benoit decides
witch way gambas/he goes.

greets.