[Gambas-user] OT:Very nice compliments for gambas :))

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Aug 25 18:20:19 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 11:53, Philip A. Chapman wrote:
> # Only capital letters can be used. Some characters in the
> ASCII range 0-32 are normal characters for COBOL

I've worked with a number of different COBOL flavors, but all
Unix or Windows based.  While they all had most of the
restrictions you mention, I haven't seen one that was case
sensitive (even though most COBOL programmers still have the
caps lock key on when they're programming.)  Is this still a
mainframe thing or just the way it used to be?

Incidentally, one of my clients has a pretty sizable VB app that
has been blocking their attempts to roll out a Linux desktop,
and in the last 2 weeks of part time work (20 hours a week or
thereabouts) I have rewritten 90% of it in Gambas without even
the aid of any auto-conversion perl scripts.  This includes a
fully functional double buffered green screen terminal, and ssh
(over a pipe) and raw socket connections all over the place.  I
really think Gambas is ready for production environments at this
point.

Rob