[Gambas-user] How to check if it is a  valid date?

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Aug 20 15:01:52 CEST 2004

On Friday 20 August 2004 14:36, Hans-Martin Bundeshund wrote:
> Salute Benoit,
>
> sorry to say, but I tested it with the yaer at last
> before your reply. I got the same results.
>
> Here is the source-snippet:
>

>     act_day = 20
>     act_month = 8
>     act_year = 2004
>
>     IF IsDate(Format$(act_day,"00") & "/" &
> Format$(act_month, "00") & "/" &
> Format$(act_year,"0000")) THEN
>       datum = Date(act_year,act_monat,act_day)
>     ELSE
>       message.Info("Date WRONG: " & act_day & "." &
> act_month & "." & act_year)
>     ENDIF
>

> Result: Date WRONG: 20.8.2004
>

> What I am doing wrong?
>
> regards,
>
> HM

I told you rubbish...

IsDate() does not test if something can be converted to a date, but test if
the type of a value is a date.

To check if something can be converted to a date, do the conversion, and check
if you got an error. It is the better way.

TRY datum = Date(act_year, act_month, act_day)
IF Error THEN
  Message(...)
ENDIF

Benoit Minisini