[Gambas-user] gambas 0.97

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Aug 14 14:09:24 CEST 2004

Hi everybody,

Here is gambas 0.97!

I almost finished all I wanted to do before the final release. I just want to
fix the way you use selections in the icon editor in the next version,
changes some things in the component files to support many versions of the
same component, and that's all...

I invite everybody to track bugs as much as possible, so that they can be
fixed as quickly as possible.

If you find a bug, send me a Gambas project, otherwise it is almost impossible
to fix it.

I need support from packagers for other distributions than Mandrake, so that
the package architecture is implmeented everywhere. This way, for example, an
application packaged on a Mandrake will be able to be delivered on a SuSE,
and vice-versa.

When everything seems to be good, I will release a 1.0RC1, and create 1.1
branch in the source package, so that I can quickly include the pending
contributions (a pretty printer from Charlie Reinl, a function browser and
many other ideas from Yizhou He)

For the time being, here are the main changes in this version:

- Gambas is now compiled with gcc 3.4

- Project arguments are correctly managed in the IDE.

- F2 allows to find a symbol definition, and SHIFT-F2 allows to go back to the
initial cursor emplacement. VERY USEFUL!

- A new option to display or not display class files of a form in the project
window. If form class files are not displayed, you can open them by pressing
CTRL when you double-click on the form icon in the project window.

- The divide operator now returns the true result of the division as a
floating point number. Now, 1/3 will return 0.333333. Use the backslash
divide operator to get the integer quotient of two numbers.

- A new class, Settings, allows you to store and retrieve configuration data
for a configuration file. By default, the configuration file has the name of
the project with the '.conf' extension, and is stored in the ~/.gambas
directory.

- The 'Util' Gambas archive has been removed. No need for that, thanks to the
Settings class.

- A new class, String, provides a set of static functions for manipulating
UTF-8 strings: String.Len(), String.Mid(), String.Left(), String.Right(),
String.Upper() and String.Lower().

Best regards,

--
Benoit Minisini