[Gambas-user] Not sure on declaring user-defined datatype arrays

Grahame White grahame at ...307...
Fri Apr 30 22:27:00 CEST 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 21:04, ron wrote:
> To be more exact.
>
> > > 	PUBLIC SUB Form_Show()
> > >
> > > 		tmp_object AS NEW Thingy
>
> 		dim tmp_object as thingy
>
> Here you declare tmp_object should handle the defenition of thingy
>
> > >   		DIM i AS Byte
> > >
> > > 		' Create two elements in the Pile array
> > > 		FOR i = 1 TO 2
>
> 			tmp_object = NEW thingy
> Here you create the tmp_object with as defenition the thingy class
> as a new object to do something with.
>
> > >     			Global.Pile.Add(Thingy)
>
> Add a definition to the array or do you want to add a object with the
> defenition to the array?
> 				Global.Pile.Add(tmp_object)
>
> > > 		NEXT
> > >
> > > 		WITH Global.Pile[0]
> > > 			.Name = "Square"
> > > 			.Height = 10
> > > 			.Width = 10
> > > 		END WITH
> > >
> > > 		WITH Global.Pile[1]
> > > 			.Name = "Rectangle"
> > > 			.Height = 20
> > > 			.Width = 10
> > > 		END WITH
> > >
> > > 	END
>
> Just for the fun:
>
> public sub buildstreet()
> dim new_home as house ' or flat
> dim i as integer
> for i =1 to buildings.in.the.street
> 	new_home = new house ' or flat
> 	new_home.street =" avenue gambas"
> 	new_home.housenumber = i
> 	street.add(new_home)
> next
>
> Hope this will give better info. ;=)
>
> Ron

The comments you added were very helpful, I couldn't quite grasp the
concept before but I makes a lot more sense to me now. I wouldn't say I
completely understand but once I've coded a few things with it, and
debugged them a few times I should ;)

The final example was also very helpful, to be honest I found that to be
more helpful than the example in the how do i... section of the help
files. Very newbie friendly :)

Thanks again

Grahame